Private yachts are defined as yachts not carrying passengers for hire, not engaged in trade or commerce, and being used solely for the pleasure or recreational purposes of its owner. The registration of private yachts is limited to those of 12 meters (m) or more in length.*
* The Republic of the Marshall Islands Maritime Administrator (the “Administrator”) may accept yachts that have been constructed and certified to the Recreational Craft Directive 94/25/EC and as such, the term within this directive for Lh may be considered.
Private Yachts of Less Than 24 m
Private yachts 12 m or more but less than 24 m in length (see Annex 1) and under 20 years of age are no longer required to undergo a pre-registration inspection. However, the Republic of the Marshall Islands Maritime Administrator (the “Administrator”) reserves the right to require such an inspection as deemed necessary.
Private yacht owners are required to complete the MI-101U, Application for Private Yacht under 24 meters and acknowledge their responsibility to meet certain safety and environmental pollution prevention measures. All private yachts over 20 years of age are required to undergo a pre-registration inspection by either an Appointed Representative (AR) or Qualified Individual (QI). A list of current approved QI can be found in the MI-103B.
- Private yachts of less than 24 m are not required to undergo a pre-registration inspection.
- Prompt and efficient registration process.
- Competitive registration fees.
- Eligible to obtain a United States (US) Cruising Permit.
- MI-242PYU, Requirements for Private Yacht Registration less than 24m
Private Yachts Over 24 m
Classed private yachts of 24 m or more in length are not required to have an inspection prior to registration, however, a current list of firefighting and lifesaving appliances are to be submitted to the Administrator for review prior to registration.
Unclassed private yachts of 24 m or more in length must undergo a pre-registration inspection by an RMI AR.
Private yachts over 24 m are eligible to be commercially compliant on a voluntary basis (V-CC).
- RMI flagged private yachts may carry more than 12 guests on board, provided additional flag State requirements are met.
- Eligible to obtain a US Cruising Permit.
- MI-242PY, Requirements for Private Yacht Registration 24m and more (Classed and Unclassed)
- MI-242PYCC, Requirements for Private Yacht Registration 24m and more V-CC
Tenders 7 m or more in length overall (LOA), of a mother yacht registered in the RMI, may be voluntarily registered. Tenders registered voluntarily may also be listed on the Official Record of Auxiliary Vessels and other Appurtenances (MI-200A), as part of the mother yacht’s inventory and outfitting.
A Tender Statement of Compliance must be issued for a tender, regardless of registration status, to any commercial yacht, passenger yacht (PAXY), private yacht limited charter (PYLC), or yacht engaged in trade (YET) of any size.
For further information or to proceed with registration please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Receive recent news and never miss an update.