This section provides vessel owners, operators, charterers, lending institutions and their representatives with information needed to register vessels in the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) and related instruments under MI-300.
International Registries, Inc. (IRI) has staff available to consult with you to ensure that your documents qualify under RMI Law, and to assist you with other features and requirements of the RMI Maritime Act (the Act) 1990, as amended. There is no charge for this service. Guidance on the content and interpretation of applicable international conventions, rules and regulations may also be obtained in consultation with our technical staff.
In addition, you may consult the RMI publication MI-100, Vessel Registration and Mortgage Recording Procedures for more detailed information. Although the MI-100 has application forms attached, they are not set up to be used electronically. You may print out what you need and fill it in manually. If you want to be able to fill out the forms electronically, you will need to go to the Vessel Registration section in Forms and Publications.
VESSEL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
- Types of vessels that may be registered under the RMI flag include: tankers, cargo ships, containerships, passenger vessels, MODUs, tugs, yachts, fishing vessels and other ocean-going vessels
- Vessels should be under 20 years of age at time of registration. A waiver of the age requirement may be granted depending upon a satisfactory evaluation of the condition, seaworthiness and usage of the vessel
- Ownership must be in the name of a RMI National, Corporation, General Partnership, Limited Partnership (LP), Limited Liability Company (LLC) or Foreign Maritime Entity (FME) qualified in the RMI
CLASSIFICATION OF VESSEL
All commercial vessels are required to be classed by a Classification Society that is recognized by the Maritime Administrator (some exceptions may be made for yachts and fishing vessels; contact IRI for specifics). The following are currently recognized:
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
- Bureau Veritas (BV)
- China Classification Society (CCS)
- ClassNK (NK)
- Croatian Register of Shipping (CRS)
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV)
- Germanischer Lloyd (GL)
- Indian Register of Shipping (IRS)
- Korean Register (KR)
- Lloyd's Register (LR)
- Polski Rejestr Statkow (PRS)
- Registro Italiano Navale (RINA)
- Russian Maritime Register of Shipping (RS)
Click here for Information on the Classification Society Certificates requirements.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED FOR VESSEL REGISTRATION
- Application for Official Number, Call Sign and Registration of Vessel
- Bill of Sale or Builder's Certificate transferring title to applicant (three copies are sufficient)
- Power of Attorney or Secretary's Certificate of Corporate Resolution
- Certificate of Confirmation of Class issued by Classification Society dated no earlier than 10 days prior to registration
- Classification Society Statement or Affidavit that the vessel is "fit to proceed to sea"
- Special Survey on vessels 15 years or older from the Classification Society
- Application for Minimum Safe Manning Certificate (This is submitted to the Seafarers' Identification and Certification Division prior to registration)
- ISM/ISPS Code Declaration of Company, Designated Person and Company Security Officer
- Proof of Liability Insurance, including oil pollution, bunker pollution and owner's repatriation obligations
- Permission to Transfer or Cancellation Certificate issued by the registry from which the vessel is being transferred
- Proof that vessel is free of recorded liens and encumbrances (Refer to MI-100 for other special documentation requirements.)
For more information on the following please complete our Visitor Form:
Within 90 days of registration, an Application for Ship Radio Station License must be submitted. If the name of the vessel is to be changed at the time of reflagging to the Marshall Islands, then all applications should be filed using the new name of the vessel, and should also list the vessel's former name in the space provided.
- Bareboat Charter Registration
- Foreign Bareboat Charter Registration
- Change of Vessel Name
- Mortgage Modifications
MI-100 - The Republic of the Marshall Islands Vessel Registration & Mortgage Recordation Procedures
This publication now includes the registration procedures for yachts and fishing vessels. The initial Application for Registration may be completed and submitted online or downloaded and faxed/mailed to any IRI office.
VESSEL REGISTRATION AND MORTGAGE APPLICATIONS
Vessel registration and mortgage recordation fees are available online. Publications and sample forms may be obtained by contacting any IRI office or by completing and submitting our online Visitor Form.
For further information, contact any IRI office.
NOTE: All applications for Provisional Registration are subject to approval by this Administration. Accordingly, the mere submission of an application for Provisional Registration does not ensure that a vessel will be accepted for entry into the Registry or flag of the Republic of the Marshall Islands.